On Thursday May 16th 2019, Mr. Paul Longo’s leadership class and Haliburton Highlands Secondary School is organizing and hosting the first annual Model United Nations Assembly for the Trillium Lakelands district school Board. The Model UN will be held in the Northern Lights Performing Arts Theatre from 9:00 AM – 2:30 PM. 70 students from all around the school board (Including HHSS) will be attending this event. Some schools that will be attending are, but not limited to, Fenelon Falls Secondary School and I.E. Weldon secondary school.
A model United Nations is an opportunity for students to participate in a UN type setting. Each student attending has been assigned an individual country. Student delegates are responsible for researching their country’s stance on the issue of climate change and representing that position in the model UN. It is also an opportunity for highschool students to get out and meet youth from other schools while having fun.
Schedule for the day:
8:30 – Schools arrive
– All students are seated in the theater
– Mr. Boulay welcomes all students to our school
– We introduce ourselves and welcome the students
– Land acknowledgement (Chloe)
9:10 – 9:20
– HHSS Climate change presentation from Secretariat
9:20 – 9:30
– Talk about our objectives for the day
9:30 – 10:00
– Speaker’s List
– Countries have to opportunity to share their country’s views on climate change
– 1.5 min / delegate
10:00 – 10:30
– Unmoderated caucus (delegates will form alliances)
– Explain to the GA what unmod is, and that it is NOT break time.
– Secretariat will streamline the discussion to 3 subtopics
10:30 – 10:40
10:40 – 11:30 – Vote on the 3 subtopics (Secondary Speakers’ List)
Speakers list on the 1st topic
Resolution prep (brief explanation before lunch)
11:30 – 12:30
– Lunch catered by Haliburton Highlands Hospitality and Tourism classes
12:30 – 1:00
– Resolution writing
1:00 – 1:30
– Speakers’ list (resolution presentations)
– If a resolution is found GA will do a vote to see whether or not we think we have found a resolution.
– If a resolution is not found/ changes want to be made to resolutions we can have a 5 -10 unmoderated caucus.
1:30 – 1:40
1:40 – 2:40
– resolution presentations continue
– Vote on resolutions
2:40 – Awards ceremony
3:00 – students leave